[oe] [RFC] -dbg for static libraries?

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Sun Sep 20 07:13:42 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 23:48 +0200, GNUtoo wrote:
> Phil Blundell wrote:
> > Or, for SDK purposes, you could even consider ditching the .a
> > libraries altogether for packages that have a .so since virtually
> > nobody is going to be doing static linking in this day and age.
>
> I often do static linking for different reasons:
> *different libc on the target(like with android for instance)
> *debugging(like in the case where all shared libs segfaulted on mips
> +uclibc,I needed a static gdb,a static strace etc...)

Neither of those are really the kind of use-cases that the SDK is
targeting.  If you are doing initial bringup/debug on a particular
target system then you would probably want to use an in-tree build just
as you do today.

The SDK exists to support casual software development on relatively
stable target platforms, by people who don't wish to build the entire
system from scratch for themselves, and in almost all cases you don't
want to encourage static linking there.

p.