[oe] bitbake freeze :(

Steffen Sledz sledz at dresearch.de
Wed Sep 23 07:32:16 UTC 2009

Khem Raj wrote:
> you could try couple of things. Firstly try to isolate if its a
> bitbake problem or not
> likely its not but still make sure. You can go into the workdir and
> run the task script
> run.do_<task> whatever it is stuck at. If it succeeeds then you know
> its a problem with
> bitbake if not then the build mechanism for this particular package
> has problem. You might
> try to disable parallel build i.e. use -j 1 to make sure that its not
> some parallel build
> issue.

I made some tests on this.

First result was that if calling

 > bitbake drapptempl -c clean
 > bitbake drapptempl
 Ctrl-C
 > bitbake drapptempl

the first build request freezes in do_compile stage, the second one
succeeds (seen in 5 of 5 test runs). Also calling run.do_compile
succeeds everytime if tried after the first freeze.

After that i checked the parallel build options in my local.conf.
The tests above were made with

 PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 4"
 BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "4"

I tried to set the BB_NUMBER_THREADS to 1 but the problem was still
existing.

After that i tried to set the PARALLEL_MAKE to "-j 1" and no the
recipe was build fine.  :)

So it seems that there is a problem with parallel make. But it only
occurs in a few of our recipes. Therefor i believe that there must be
something special in there makefiles/recipes.

After a detailed inspection i noted that they all depend on a library
which uses glib (incl. some tools like gob2). The library itself does
not have the build problems. But could the problem result from this?

Steffen