[oe] [RFC] Fetch machine type list for ARM architectures

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 09:26:59 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Phil Blundell <pb at reciva.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 23:56 +0200, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> two (known) ARM machines currently have kernel support but their
>> "mach-types" file in arch/arm/tools/ is not up-to-date.
>
> How did this situation come about?  The mach-types file is normally one
> of the first things to be updated in the upstream kernel; I can't think
> of any obvious reason why that should not have happened if the patches
> to add the actual machine support have already landed in the tree.

Let me clearify, my phrasing was a bit off.

With "upstream" I didn't mean "mainline", but an upstream branch being
merged towards mainline regularly and soonish.

in this case the linux-kirkwood branch at Marvell (which is merged to
upstream regularly) had the machine support but not yet the machine
type.

There is often a race condition in ARM kernel development if (1) get
done before (2, 3).
1 - machine-specific code gets written/submitted to a branch
2 - machine type is requested, machine type file is generated
3 - new machine type file gets merged into the branch

I had merged this into OpenEmbedded, it was non-intrusive for other
machines and will not break when (3) has happened.

# update machine types list for ARM architecture, only for machines that need it
do_arm_mach_types() {
  if test ${MACHINE} == openrd-base; then

To be removed when it is upstream...

Regards,