[oe] meta-native?

Christian Gagneraud cgagneraud at techworks.ie
Mon Sep 28 21:44:40 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Is there a way to build all and only the native recipes in a single shot?

Short answer I suppose:
Write a meta-native recipe that depends on all the native recipes and
then do a "MACHINE=native bitbake your-meta-native"

But If anyone fancy explain me why my first attemp didn't give me the
expected results:

I've tried naively to write a meta-native recipe by putting in DEPENDS
a list of native recipes (from stamps/x86_64-linux/*-native-*) that
have been built after a "bitbake console-image" but still using my
usual MACHINE (ts72xx).
Here is my meta-native:
----
DESCRIPTION="Meta package to build all native packages in a raw"

DEPENDS = "\
autoconf-native \
automake-native \
bison-native \
bzip2-full-native \
curl-native \
db-native \
dbus-glib-native \
dbus-native \
desktop-file-utils-native \
expat-native \
fakeroot-native \
file-native \
flex-native \
gdbm-native \
gettext-native \
glib-2.0-native \
gmp-native \
gnu-config-native \
gtk-doc-native \
intltool-native \
ipkg-utils-native \
libtool-native \
libxml-parser-perl-native \
libxml2-native \
m4-native \
mpfr-native \
ncurses-native \
openssl-native \
opkg-native \
pax-utils-native \
perl-native \
pkgconfig-native \
python-native \
quilt-native \
sed-native \
shared-mime-info-native \
shasum-native \
stagemanager-native \
unifdef-native \
xorg-headers-native \
xproto-native \
zlib-native \
"

inherit meta
----

I expected then that a "rm -Rf $TMPDIR; MACHINE=whatever bitbake
meta-native" would have build only the native recipes but it looks
like some cross/target recipes are being build too, for now (the build
is still ongoing) it has pulled the following "non-native"
dependencies (found in stamps/armv4t-angstrom-linux-gnueabi):
binutils-cross
expat
gcc-cross
gcc-cross-initial
gcc-cross-intermediate
glibc
glibc-initial
libtool-cross
linux-libc-headers

Is it really a native package that pulls these dependencies, or is it
because the cross-toolchain is a kind of default dependency?

I'm using angstrom 2008.1-stable, my goal is to build all the native
recipes and then make a big tarball of my TMPDIR to save time for the
future.
Ideally i would like then to build the toolchains I need, install them
and use them with openembedded. If that doesn't work I will go for the
big tarball as well.

I'm only interesting in repeatable images creation, not repeatable
toolchain and native stuff and I would like to use this big tarball as
a starting point to speed-up my "build images from scratch" process.
As I'm not modifying any native/cross/sdk recipes, but only recipes
for the target, my way of doing should be safe to guarantee the
repeatability of image building.

Any thought?

Regards,
Chris