[oe] how to enable the linux kernel in separate directory?

Vladimir Davydov vladimir.davydov at promwad.com
Mon Apr 5 11:50:08 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I need your suggestionts, how to enable the linux kernel most correctly in my
custom case.
I have a directory with unpacked linux kernel source tree.
This tree is under SVN control and used for development.

Now common tree is following:
./kernel-source-tree
./openembedded

I have created bb file for my linux config:
#=========
DESCRIPTION = "Linux Kernel for the mycustom dev platform"
SECTION = "kernel"
LICENSE = "GPLv2"
PR = "r1"
PV = "2.6.31-rc4"

COMPATIBLE_HOST = "arm.*-linux"
COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "mycustom"

S = "${WORKDIR}/linux-2.6"

inherit kernel

export ARCH="arm"

do_fetch () {
   cd ${WORKDIR}
   ln -sf ${MYCUSTOM_KERNEL_PATH} ${S}
}

do_configure() {
     install -m 644 ${S}/arch/arm/configs/mycustom-did_defconfig ${S}/.config
     make ARCH=${ARCH} oldconfig
}

MYCUSTOM_KERNEL_PATH is the path to the kernel-source-tree directory.

It uses creation of symlink to the kernel source in the workdir.
Is it very ugly?
Could you suggest more useful variants for my case?

Best regards,
Vladimir