[oe] SRCREV defined too late -how to fix?

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 06:07:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:19:31AM -0500, Mike Westerhof wrote:
> This is the exact line from
> openembedded/conf/distro/include/preferred-slugos-versions.inc, actually.

Ah sorry, that I missed that (grep for SRCREV_pn).

> It doesn't matter if I remove the similar line from my local.conf; it
> still fails because SRCREV is not defined when the line is evaluated.
> Any user building any IXP4xx kernel in OE will be greeted with the
> aforementioned messages, even if they have an empty local.conf.

I don't think so, the only problem is when you have to define
PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-ixp4xx (without SRCREV-pn-linux-ixp4xx
definition).

To be honest SRCREV in linux-ixp4xx.inc is really strange, I put it
there as it's as close to previous state as possible (same SRCREV is
share between all versions of linux-ixp4xx recipe). I would expect
different SRCREV of patchset for different module=${KERNEL_RELEASE} (I
think it's harder to test all KERNEL_RELEASEs when you need to bump
patchset SRCREV for latest RELEASE or unnecesarry kernel upgrades for
users of older KERNEL_RELEASE when someone bumped patches only to get
more patches for latest RELEASE without any change in their old version.

> > Have you tried
> >
> > SRCREV_pn-linux-ixp4xx = "4833"
> > PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-ixp4xx = "2.6.27.8+svnr${SRCREV_pn-linux-ixp4xx}"
> >
> > in your local.conf?
>
> So basically, you are suggesting that we leave the SRCREV in the
> package, but I should define it along with the preferred kernel in one
> of the SlugOS distro config files -- in other words, it's reverting your
> changes specifically for SlugOS and the ixp4xx kernel.

I really don't mind moving SRCREV_pn-linux-ixp4xx to SlugOS config if
it's easier for you. Or you can as well increase DEFAULT_PREFERENCE in
that 2.6.27.8 recipe for slugos or all and drop
PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-ixp4xx from config.

> I'm fine with that; I like the old behavior far better than the
> (mis)behavior I observe with the new model.  I'll try that and if it
> works, I can commit that change.

> > Yes you can override it with _pn-something in local.conf (as ie
> > fso-autorev.conf, shr-autorev.conf), SRCREV_pn-abc = "123" is preferred
> > over SRCREV = "12" in abc_svn.bb. Doesn't matter if there was weak or
> > normal assignment in recipe.
> >
> > The point for not-weak assignement is because some time ago, RP said,
> > that would be better to define SRCREV = None ie in bitbake.conf to get
> > better error message than those "svnr1". Using weak SRCREV in recipes
> > wouldn't be possible.

> > Please try solution suggested above first.
>
> But if understand your proposed solution, it is just putting it back to
> the way it was for SlugOS.  (It'll still be broken for Angstrom and
> other distros that build IXP4xx kernels, though).

I don't see PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-ixp4xx in Angstrom configs so I
think that only those who has PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-ixp4xx in
local.conf needs to define preferred SRCREV there as well.

Regards,

uin:136542059                jid:Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
Jansa Martin                 sip:jamasip at voip.wengo.fr
JaMa