[oe] Do we really want shared Xserver script for all machines?

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 12:39:20 UTC 2010

Hi,

on Openmoko Freerunner om-gta02 Xserver script takes about 3s on every
boot
http://build.shr-project.org/tests/jama/bootchart-2.6.32.9.r1.png

it's started from /etc/init.d/xserver-nodm and with eliminated Xserver
call by passing xinit call directly with right Xorg params I get this

http://build.shr-project.org/tests/jama/bootchart-2.6.32.9.r3.png

My question is:

should I commit simplified versions of Xserver script
xserver-kdrive-common/xserver-kdrive-common/Xserver
xserver-kdrive-common/xserver-kdrive-common/om-gta02/Xserver
and the same for other devices supported in Xserver (to save
grep,awk call).

or do it only for om-gta02 (maybe even in
xserver-kdrive-common/xserver-nodm-init/xserver-nodm
) and those who care about boot time will follow?

Maybe calling fallback_screen_arg only where it's really needed would be
good enough optimization, without the cost of loosing PACKAGE_ARCH =
"all".

uin:136542059                jid:Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
Jansa Martin                 sip:jamasip at voip.wengo.fr
JaMa