[oe] About having a static /dev

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Thu Apr 22 13:22:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 14:46 +0200, Antonio Ospite wrote:
> A per-MACHINE way would be better IMHO, I am thinking about
> adding a check on something like /dev/.staticdev (suggested in [1]) to
> both udev init script and to the 'device' script from initscripts, and
> make the image class add the /dev/.staticdev file when
> IMAGE_DEV_MANAGER == "" (or maybe == "static" or "none"?)
>
> Does this sound reasonable?

Yes, that sounds reasonable enough.  Or you could check for /dev being
mounted on tmpfs rather than persistent storage; you'd probably need
some check along those lines anyway to catch the devtmpfs case.

It would still be nice to have udev be a DISTRO_FEATURE as well, since
it'd suck a bit to have all that stuff installed in flash if it's never
going to be used.  But your proposal sounds basically fine to me.

p.