[oe] [Bitbake-dev] RFC: How to improve packaged-staging and setscene

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Thu Aug 5 12:39:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 13:12 +0200, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> Sounds good to me. Not sure whether I have time to try it out on short
> term. Too much other things at hand.
>
> One small concern:
> Would it in your proposal be possible to disable packaged staging?
> I think it would be nice if a user (in local.conf or so) could decide
> on whether he wants to spent build time and space on this.

Technically, disabling would be possible but you lose some important
benefits such as when enabled, cleaning a package will remove whatever
it put into staging.

One of our problems in OE is too many code paths. I'd like to see us try
and minimise that problem. Disk space is cheap and this code shouldn't
take much more time.

Once combined with checksums, it should actually save people large
amounts of time as needing to rebuild from scratch should be a think of
the patch (unless you make a change effecting everything in which case
you'd expect it).

Cheers,

Richard