[oe] application not getting loaded

Graham Gower graham.gower at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 23:42:44 UTC 2010

On 8 August 2010 20:25, Anand Sivaram <aspnair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I wrote a custom gstreamer application on ARM (dm6446) angstrom.
> Whenever I try to run the application, I am getting the following error,
> that looks
> as if the shell is treating the application as a shell script.
>
> /usr/bin/app: line 1: syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
>
> I made sure that the application is having 755 permission and readelf/file
> etc. from
> a linux pc shows this as an ELF 32 bit ARM executable.

This error message is typical when the system is trying to execute a
binary built for a different architecture.

> These are the dynamic library dependencies during compilation.
> pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0 gstreamer-0.10 gstreamer-interfaces-0.10
>
> Is it due to some shared library loading problem?  In that case is there
> any arm "ldd" available on openembedded target or on build host to
> verify what is missing?

You can invoke the dynamic linker and have it print out the dependent
dynamic libs. e.g.
$ /lib/ld.so.1 --list /path/to/bin

But this will execute the binary to make the list, so if your system
doesn't recognise the binary, this won't work.

-Graham