[oe] Why PREFERRED_VERSION setting of <distro>.conf overrules local.conf setting ?

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 06:08:20 UTC 2010

Without quoting tons of text and without going into each individual
argument given there are a few remarks I want to give.

Things should be consistent and intuitive.
local.conf is for local configuration. as such it suggests that
whatever is in there is leading.
Having to append _local to an override to me is counter-intuitive.
(and *if* that is really desired or needed to have a _local suffix, it
should be documented clearly in the manual. Also an example should be
give in the local.conf.sample file. Afaik neither is the case as of
today). Even for a

Distro's probably know better what does and does not work together,
but in some cases distro's pin recipes for no apparent reason (or
personal developer preference). Users should have an easy way to
override this, and e.g. select a different version.

Also wrt the remark that "distro's know better". The same holds for
machines. As a machine maintainer I know probably better than the
distro which compiler is best for this machine/architecture. Yet as a
machine I am not supposed to pin the version of the compiler.

Have fun! Frans