[oe] [ANNOUNCE] BitBake 1.10.0

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Mon Aug 16 14:32:04 UTC 2010

Greetings all,

I've created a 1.10.0 release based upon the current 1.10 branch in BitBake.
 Unfortunately, it's nontrivial to list here everything that has been done
since 1.8, as master has been developed for years before stabilizing enough
to be released.  See
http://git.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/bitbake/tree/ChangeLog?id=1.10.0 for an
idea of some of the bigger developments.  One of the biggest is the
frontend/backend split.  BitBake now has the ability to communicate between
frontend and backend via XML/RPC in both directions, rather than being in a
single process.  This means it will be much easier for things like the OE
eclipse plugin to gain the ability to control builds, by sending a bitbake
server commands and receiving events to display to the user.

Again, I apologize for how very brief this announcement is, in the future
we'll be doing a much better job at summarizing the changes in a release, as
the change list will be within the bounds of reason :)  You can obtain the
release archive at https://developer.berlios.de/projects/bitbake/ as always,
or you can of course utilize the 1.10.0 tag in the bitbake git repository.
 Thanks for your time, and we'd greatly appreciate folks testing this out.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com