[oe] cleaning recipes

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 19:38:29 UTC 2010

2010/8/16 Graeme Gregory <dp at xora.org.uk>:
>  On 16/08/10 13:14, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
>> 2010/8/16 Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>:
>> would be nice if oe would detect those cases and force a rebuild.
>>> That doesn't help if you're using packagemanagement. Now you have
>>> "foo_1.0-r0.ipk" in the feeds that statically linked to openssl 0.9.8
>>> and "foo_1.0-r0.ipk" locally that statically links to 1.0.0. So users
>>> still don't get the fixes that went into openssl.
>> Agree.
>> I vaguely recall an idea (I believe from RP) to have a hash or so
>> derived from the whole dependency tree below it.
>> This discussion probably ran somewhere last winter.
>>
>> Frans
>>
> A quick implementation would sum all PR in depends tree above us.
>
> Graeme

That would be an elegant and simple solution.
There is a minor issue with it wrt lettering (but I guess these can be
skipped) and maybe cvs/svn/git numbers (i seem to recall some of these
are not monotonic).
A more difficult issue is if a dependency is removed. Then suddenly
the number will drop. The only solution I see right away is manually
add an offset to the recipe to accomodate for this (but it is not
really a nice solution).

Frans