[oe] What to do about the poor bitbake Quality Control?

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 15:02:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> The biggest problem (as discussed at great length already) is that the
> distance from 'dev' to 'stable' can be measured in years :-(  'stable'
> just isn't useful at all for "current" work...

I must admit that some percentage of the time I also experience build
errors, but I've simply adapted my work-flow to deal with it.  For my
project work, I simply build over the course of a week or so until I
get something stable, and then lock down my OE version for my
development.

I think it would be very useful to have a "stable" branch that is only
synchronised with dev when X number of targets build from a clean
build.  It seems like this would be high value, with little effort.
Of course there will be corner things that break, but at least a new
beagleboard user can check out something and have reasonable
confidence that it will build images.

Does anyone have suggestions for the branch name and a reasonable
subset of machines and build targets?  Perhaps someone is already
running these clean builds?  At one point we had a machine at OSUOSL
dedicated to this purpose, but no one ever set it up.

Thanks,
Cliff