[oe] Usage of NATIVE_INSTALL_WORKS

Tom Rini tom_rini at mentor.com
Tue Aug 17 17:48:07 UTC 2010

Chris Larson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 4:37 AM, Enrico Scholz <
> enrico.scholz at sigma-chemnitz.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php/Legacy_staging states that
>> NATIVE_INSTALL_WORKS must be set when there is a non trivial
>> do_install() function and BBCLASSEXTEND is used.
>>
>> But
>>
>> | git grep NATIVE_INSTALL_WORKS conf/ classes/ lib/
>>
>> shows only one place where this variable is evaluated:
>>
>> | classes/staging.bbclass:    elif bb.data.getVar('NATIVE_INSTALL_WORKS',
>> d, 1) == "1":
>> | classes/staging.bbclass-        legacy = False
>>
>> And there, it is used only in the is_legacy_staging() function, to
>> override legacy/non-legacy detection results.
>>

>> Is there still any use for this variable in modern staging?  Or shall it
>> be purged from non-legacy recipes?
>

> If you purge it from particular non-legacy recipes, the legacy detection
> code will misidentify those as legacy and fail to do the correct thing.

Can we update the wiki page to expand on when this is needed a little
bit more then?  My quick read of is_legacy_staging() says that if
do_stage is empty (and it should be if you convert from do_stage to
do_install right) NATIVE_INSTALL_WORKS shouldn't be needed.

--
Tom Rini
Mentor Graphics Corporation