[oe] OE stable, testing, dev (was Re: What to do about the poor bitbake Quality Control?)

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 15:07:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Martyn Welch <martyn.welch at ge.com> wrote:
> On 17/08/10 16:02, Cliff Brake wrote:
>>
>> I think it would be very useful to have a "stable" branch that is only
>> synchronised with dev when X number of targets build from a clean
>> build.  It seems like this would be high value, with little effort.
>> Of course there will be corner things that break, but at least a new
>> beagleboard user can check out something and have reasonable
>> confidence that it will build images.
>>
>> Does anyone have suggestions for the branch name and a reasonable
>> subset of machines and build targets?  Perhaps someone is already
>> running these clean builds?  At one point we had a machine at OSUOSL
>> dedicated to this purpose, but no one ever set it up.
>>

> So something like Debian's stable, testing and unstable[1]?

That sounds good to me -- so how about org.openembedded.dev and
org.openembedded.testing branches?

I'll plan to start doing a clean build of dev every Monday for the
Beagleboard, and then merge to testing once it builds.  Initial
targets:

Angstrom Distro
beagleboard/beagleboard-linuxtag2010-demo-image
x86/minimal-image

My workstation runs a 64-bit OS, so that is probably worst case
(compared to i686).

Getting started
(http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Getting_started) points to a
tarball for bitbake 1.8.18.  Is this still the recommended
version/mechanism for new users?  I much prefer simply pulling bitbake
from git.

Thanks,
Cliff