[oe] orphaned files

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 06:58:11 UTC 2010

2010/8/15  <ydirson at free.fr>:

> It would be nice to have a checker script (not like lintian for debian
> packages), which would check for such probable or sure errors in packaging.
> Having it run when a recipe gets updated would help the person currently
> know where to look for improvements, and delaying in this case effective removal
> till someone who cares about the recipe can look at it, would probably
> cause a gradual improvement of the recipes.  Put another way, that would
> be: allow people who care with improving quality to just point the oe project to
> directions of improvements, and (when meaningful) let the ones who know
> the recipes best decide on the best course of action for that recipe.
>
> Similarly (please excuse my Debian background), publishing the results of
> such automated tests on the oe website would allow someone to quickly get a grasp
> on the state of a package he cares about, possibly bringing more people to
> contribute ?  Have a look at packages.qa.debian.org, http://qa.debian.org/developer.php
> and the services aggregated from there for more details.
>
> That also reminds me I thought a couple of days ago that something like the "Debian External
> Health Status" system would benefit much to oe, to help contributors to focus.  Maybe something
> can even be reused there, we would mostly have to add support for something like debian/watch
> files in the oe recipes and do probably-minor changes to the scripts that use them.
> See http://dehs.alioth.debian.org/stats.html

I think this would definitely help, but I'm not sure how to set this up.
If there is a good testing system, I might be able to get some cpu
cycles and disk space for it.

As a starter it would already be nice to have a tool to check for
stale/unused files.
However, I think it is beyond my python knowledge to write one.

Frans.