[oe] H1940 Boot Issue

openembedded at rkmorris.us openembedded at rkmorris.us
Sun Aug 22 13:01:51 UTC 2010

 *      1024x768
 *
 *    Clean            false  false  false    EN-US  X-NONE  X-NONE                                       MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               /* Style Definitions */  table.MsoNormalTable	{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";	mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;	mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;	mso-style-noshow:yes;	mso-style-priority:99;	mso-style-qformat:yes;	mso-style-parent:"";	mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;	mso-para-margin:0in;	mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;	font-size:11.0pt;	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";	mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;	mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;	mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;	mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;	mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";	mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}     Hi,

My apologies in advance – as this is a fairly basicoperating question (so likely just me doing something stupid … L), and I’m notsure which list to post this to … so for now I’m posting to allthree (so sorry for the spam!).

I am trying to get OpenEmbeddedrunning on my iPAQ 1940. I have to do this myself, asAngstrom does not seem to have a build setup for this target hardware. However,I have been able to follow the OE wiki, and have the build up and running justfine now – or at least I’m able to generate all the requiredoutputs it seems … I say this, because it’s not quite working on myiPAQ. Let me explain what I see …

1)     The kernel does seem to come up fine – andif I turn kernel logging on (using loglevel in thecommand line passed over by HaRET) I do see expectedoutputs on the screen (as I’m directing console output to tty0).
2)     I seem to get to the point where the kernel istrying to launch the file system – but that’s where everything justseems to hang. I see a message about loading a RAMDISK (if I use initrd), or mounting the file system if I create apartition and file system on my SD card. The same result in either case –the RAMDISK / mount message, then a console output noting that some initial memoryhas been freed up … then nothing more. The system is not dead, as I doget messages on the console if I plug / unplug the USB cable, or if I presskeys on the iPAQ … but the system does notboot.
3)     I took the same initrdimages and tried running them under QEMU (I really did try to debug this myselffirst! … J).I have to use a different kernel … which I don’t quite understandyet, so if someone could explain this also I would appreciate it, but that’sa side issue. In any case, QEMU boots off its own kernel (for an ARM processoralso), and they happily launches my initrd and worksjust fine. I have tried three images … console-image, x11-image, and opie-image – they all work fine in QEMU (but not onthe iPAQ itself).
4)     I tried moving from initrd(RAMDISK) to the file system on the SD card, hoping then to see someinformation in the Linux logs that would help me out (i.e. /var/log),but after I (forcefully) reboot the iPAQ and pull theSD card back out there is nothing here … so no help unfortunately.

Does anyone have any debugging tricks or pointers that theycan pass on to me? I’m definitely open to any suggestions! Of course, ifyou have seen similar issues and know how to resolve this it would be greatlyappreciated. Unfortunately I seem to be stuck right now.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!