[oe] script to remove orphaned files

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 21:08:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Frans Meulenbroeks
<fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As I indicated before there are quite some orphaned patch files that
> are not used in any recipe.
>
> To resolve this I've written a small bash script to remove unused
> patches/files from a directory.
> Below is a copy of the script.
> This is posted to get feedback on the script (with the review comments
> added this can probably be put in the contrib dir).
> If the script is considered to be good, we can run it on the
> directories that we have to clean them up.
> My preference is that recipe owners do this, but as a lot of dirs are
> orphaned, I am planning to do this myself in due time (after the
> review and after giving recipe owners a chance to do it themselves).
>
> Attached is the script. It takes a recipe dir as argument (e.g. recipes/gcc)
> It searches for all .patch and .diff files in that dir, and checks if
> they are mentioned in a .bb file or .inc file
> if the file is there, nothing is done.
> If the fileis not there and there is a -d argument before the dir
> name, the files are actually removed and the change committed.
> Otherwise this filename is just listed.
>
> Proposal is to start with a 1 week script review period.
>
> Frans.
>
> The script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> # clean-recipe: a small shell script to clean unneeded patch/diff
> files from a recipe folder
> if [ $# -eq 0 ]
> then
>    echo "usage " $0 "[-d] recipe-dir-name"
>    exit
> fi
> delete=0
> if [ $1 = "-d" ]
> then
>    delete=1
>    shift;
> fi
> dir=$1
> if [ ! -d $dir ]
> then
>    echo $dir " is not a directory"
>    exit
> fi
> cd $dir
> removed=0
> find -name "*.diff" -o -name "*.patch" | (while  read name
>    do
>        bname=`basename $name`
>        grep -q $bname *.bb *.inc || \
>        if [ $delete -eq 0 ]
>        then
>        echo $name " is unused"
>        else
>        git rm $name
>        removed=1
>        fi
>    done
>    if [ $removed -eq 1 ]
>    then
>        echo $dir ": removed unneeded files" | git commit -s -F -
>    fi )

Sometimes I run into a issue and then I look into the existing patches
and apply it or port it forward/backward
that solves it. This will be not easily possible once these patches
are removed. but thats not such a big issue I do
not have a strong opinion on this either way.