[oe] testing branch 2010-08-23

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 14:36:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Graham Gower <graham.gower at gmail.com> wrote:
> """if a build fails, then issues are reported, and the testing-testing
> branch is moved ahead to capture fixes made in the dev branch. Once
> the issue is fixed, all combinations are retested."""
>
> Can I suggest that the testing-testing branch not be moved ahead? Its
> not really fair on testers to have to retest, especially if the branch
> is moved ahead a couple of times. Obviously breakages should be fixed
> and committed, but can't it just wait for the following week's testing
> branch to show up as a successful build?

I think this is a good suggestion -- testers including myself may not
have time or CPU bandwidth to be running multiple builds every week.
My original thought was that the testing branch does not get moved
until everything builds, but that is probably not reasonable.  If we
list last good build for each combination, and move the testing branch
when most of the combinations build, that is probably the best we can
do.

I have updated http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Testing to
reflect these thoughts.

Thanks,