[oe] [RFC] review process

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 12:17:17 UTC 2010

2010/8/28 Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>:

> On 27-08-10 14:15, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
>> It is a good rule that important changes (toolchain, infrastructure)
>> are reviewed before being committed.
>> This is e.g. also specified in
>> http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Commit_Policy
>>
>> However, recently I've seen some issues that our review process does
>> not seem to work or is abused.
>>
>> I see two things happening.
>> - patches are submitted for review but do not gain any feedback in a
>> reasonable time. I have several patches in the queue that did not get
>> any feedback.
>> - people are abusing their powers by rejecting changes without
>> motivation. See e.g [1] and [2]. I feel if you reject a patch you have
>> an obligation to explain why you rejected it.
>
> If you want to delete a recipe I maintain, the burden is on you or are
> you saying that maintainers aren't in charge of their recipes anymore?

One of the reasons that someone submits a patch is *because* he is not
the maintainer of the recipe.
Like Mickey says it is not more than polite to tell the submitter (who
invested time in creating the patch) why you reject the patch.
Maintainership does not only come with rights but also with
responsibilities. There is no reason to be rude.
Note also that OE is a team effort. One is the maintainer of the
recipe, not the dictator of the recipe.

Also I (and I think many with me) would appreciate it if you showed
the same respect to the recipes of others as you expect others to show
to your recipes.

Frans.

PS: Wrt the maintainership of the recipes: I do not want to divert
this topic into a discussion on that, but will react to that in the
bitbake world thread started by Khem.