[oe] [RFD] increased dependency checking

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 11:28:25 UTC 2010

2010/8/29 Frans Meulenbroeks <fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com>:

> I am quite aware that packet management brings additional complications.
> If you rebuild the package then at least the new package depends on
> the new lib so everyone getting the new version gets the new lib.
> And the package installer could just keep the old lib adjacent to the new lib.
> That is not so strange. On the system I am typing this I have e.g.
> /lib/libreadline.so.5
> /lib/libreadline.so.5.2
> /lib/libreadline.so.6
> /lib/libreadline.so.6.0
> That way I feel a migration from one lib to another could go quite smoothly.

Actually for openssl this is not possible as the libraries cannot coexist.
In case lib versions cannot coexist, I feel putting them in different
recipes and providing a virtual would be the best solution
For openssl that would probably mean having an openssl-0.9 and
openssl-1.0 recipe that both provide openssl, where the distro can
choose.
Different recipe names make it much clearer that it are not alternatives.

Frans