[oe] [RFC] move openssl.cnf file into base openssl package

Maupin, Chase chase.maupin at ti.com
Wed Dec 15 18:38:07 UTC 2010

All,

Currently in openssl.inc the openssl.cnf file is being placed in the openssl-misc package.  However, when running the openssl command you will frequently receive warnings about this configuration file missing.  i.e.:

WARNING: can't open config file: /usr/lib/ssl/openssl.cnf

Also, when running the command "openssl req" to request and generate a certificate the command will fail without the openssl.cnf file being installed on the target system. i.e.

WARNING: can't open config file: /usr/lib/ssl/openssl.cnf
Unable to load config info from /usr/lib/ssl/openssl.cnf

Is there a reason why this file is placed in the misc package since it seems to be either looked for or required by the openssl executable shipped in the base openssl package?

>From the log I see that the openssl.cnf file was originally added to the libcrypto package since it was accessed directly from libcrypto (commit f95a95435ca79e7b9942b6e321d30e264c728791).  I then see that it was moved the file to the misc package to make different libcrypto versions parallel installable (commit 26b7d6514111d5ac0171c1834fa85d4576d783bf) but no other justification as to why the .cnf was placed in the misc instead of base package.

I have a patch to move the openssl.cnf file into the openssl package but I wanted to better understand why this file was not already in the openssl package before submitting my patch.

Sincerely,
Chase Maupin