[oe] [RFC] Local files search in overlay folders first

Денис Дыдычкин nyrl at mail.ru
Thu Dec 16 11:24:18 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am using OE with my own overlay and I want to adjust linux kernel settings with minimal efforts. I have the following structure:
oe/
  recipes/
    linux/
      linux-davinci.inc
      linux-davinci_git.bb
      <others-includes>
      linux-davinci/
        <patches>
        omapl137/
          defconfig
overlay/
  recipes/
BBPATH="<topdir>/overlay:<topdir>/oe"

What I generally want is to simply replace defconfig with my own without changing recipe and touching other patches. I consider that having this structure could be fine for me:
overlay/
  recipes/
    linux/
      linux-davinci/
        omapl137/
          defconfig     (modified)

It does not work for release-2010.12 of OE and it does not seems to work in master either.

I believe that changing FILESPATHBASE so that it will look in "recipes/linux/linux-davinci/omapl137" subfolder for each entry in BBPATH in defined order would solve my problem. For given example having FILESPATHBASE defines as "<topdir>/overlay/recipes/linux:<topdir>/oe/recipes/linux" would be enough.

I created recurrent-filespathbase.bbclass which redefines FILESPATHBASE so that instead of FILE_DIRNAME it is defined with each BBPATH's root followed by suffix derived from FILE_DIRNAME. It only does so for paths known by BBPATH.
To use this one has to define INHERIT += "recurrent-filespathbase.bbclass" in local.conf and then one can put just overriding files for any patch or source.

I attach this recurrent-filespathbase.bbclass. Please consider whether it is a safe approach to solve the problem I described, and whether it should be included into OE.

Thank you in advance, Denis.