[oe] release 2010-12: tar error

Martyn Welch martyn.welch at ge.com
Wed Dec 22 13:26:49 UTC 2010

On 21/12/10 22:58, Graham Gower wrote:
> On 21 December 2010 22:20, Martyn Welch <martyn.welch at ge.com> wrote:

>>> I can confirm that this is a long standing race condition, presumably in
>>> packaged staging - there were several attempts at fixing it w/o much success.
>>>

>> I recently repeatedly hit this. I'm in the process of setting up some
>> automated testing which made this particularly annoying. I had
>> BB_NUMBER_THREADS and PARALLEL_MAKE setup in my local.conf. I think this is
>> arises when BB_NUMBER_THREADS is set. I've removed it and taken the hit in
>> build time instead (preferable in my situation). This seems to have stop it
>> being an issue, but I need to do quite a few more runs to make sure.
>>
>> Martyn
>>

> If you have a good way to reproduce any race, please provide instructions.
>
> I have PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 12" and BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "12" in my
> local.conf and have never seen this race.
>
> -Graham

I really wish I could say I had. I believe I have had PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 2"
and BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "2" in my configuration for quite a while now and
didn't see this problem until I started to script some of our testing.

Martyn

--
Martyn Welch (Principal Software Engineer) | Registered in England and
GE Intelligent Platforms                   | Wales (3828642) at 100