[oe] QA issue with staging (workdir) for .la files in xmlrpc-c package

Martin Panter vadmium+floss at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 07:26:10 UTC 2010

Hi all

I'm having trouble building "xmlrpc-c", which I think is required for
rtorrent. It's failing at the "do_qa_staging" stage with the messages
such as "QA Issue with staging: libxmlrpc.la failed sanity test
(workdir)".

I gather the issue is that my sysroots/*/usr/lib/libxmlrpc.la file has
the following, which mentions the tmp/work/ directory:

# Libraries that this one depends upon.
dependency_libs=' -L.libs
-L/media/disk/home/vadmium/proj/aegle/build/tmp/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/xmlrpc-c-1.06.41-r1/xmlrpc-c-1.06.41/src/../lib/libutil/.libs
-lxmlrpc_util -lxml2 -lz -lm'

So looks like another Libtool issue. But I'm stuck this time so if
anyone has any hints that would be awesome. For instance why does that
-L. . ./tmp/work/. . . component get there, and perhaps is there some
Libtool option to prevent or fix it?

I think the xmlrpc-c packages has its own version of Libtool (1.3.4?).
I tried coaxing the build process to use OE's Libtool version
(EXTRA_OEMAKE = "LIBTOOL='${HOST_SYS}-libtool'", after the import
line, in the recipe file), but this didn't seem to help.

Previously I thought I had another "QA issue" with this xmlrpc-c
package, something about a "hash style", which I thought I solved by
passing LADD='${LDFLAGS}' to the Make command. But recently when I
removed this change I am not getting the earlier "hash style QA
issue"; only this newer "workdir" one. But I may be confused.

-Martin

These are the full messages taken straight from log.do_qa_staging file
with awesome-long path names:

ERROR: QA Issue with staging: libxmlrpc.la failed sanity test
(workdir) in path
/media/disk/home/vadmium/proj/aegle/build/tmp/sysroots/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib
ERROR: QA Issue with staging: libxmlrpc_server_abyss.la failed sanity
test (workdir) in path
/media/disk/home/vadmium/proj/aegle/build/tmp/sysroots/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib
ERROR: QA Issue with staging: libxmlrpc_server.la failed sanity test
(workdir) in path
/media/disk/home/vadmium/proj/aegle/build/tmp/sysroots/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib
ERROR: QA Issue with staging: libxmlrpc_server_cgi.la failed sanity
test (workdir) in path
/media/disk/home/vadmium/proj/aegle/build/tmp/sysroots/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib
ERROR: QA Issue with staging: libxmlrpc_client.la failed sanity test
(workdir) in path
/media/disk/home/vadmium/proj/aegle/build/tmp/sysroots/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib
FATAL: QA staging was broken by the package built above