[oe] Boost 1.45

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 23:28:03 UTC 2010

For a long time, the newest version of boost in openembedded has been 1.41,
released over two years ago. As far as I can tell, the reason for this is that
the recipe uses the cmake branch, which has been stagnant for the last several
years. The reason for this is that the build system used by boost, bjam, is a
travesty at best and a crime against packagers for the most (see the comment in
the existing boost.inc for another poor soul's thoughts on the matter). Over
the last few days, I've been trying to bring my embedded environment up-to-date
with the current openembedded tree.  Unfortunately, as it turns out boost 1.41
has some serious issues with gcc 4.5.

After quite a few exchanges with the boost folks and many hours of frustration,
I think I finally have a working recipe. I'd appreciate it if people could try
this and perhaps give some feedback. I can successfully build the package, but
given the quirky nature of the build system it seems likely someone will find
some configuration-specific issues.

Thanks,

- Ben