[oe] Issues with .list files

Michael Morrell Michael.Morrell at palm.com
Fri Feb 5 03:24:20 UTC 2010

If I understand the algorithm in package_do_shlibs correctly, each package creates a .list file which is a list of all the shared libraries provided by that package.  It also generates a list of all the libraries that it needs and looks for those in .list files created by other packages so it can create a runtime dependency against that package.

The way it looks for .list files is to simply scan all *.list files in the directory.  This has two problems that I can see.

First, it is inefficient.  It should only have to look through .list files creates by packages created by bb files which were DEPENDed on by this bb file.

Second, when a bitbake run is done with lots of parallelism, it is possible that it tries to open a nonexistent .list file (it was there when it did the os.listdir call, but that package later removed it before it recreates it), causing a crash here.  We are seeing such crashes reasonably often.

Before I try to fix this on my own, I wanted to get some opinions on the best way to handle this.

Thanks,

  Michael