[oe] Working with OEMs

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger+oe at freyther.de
Sat Feb 6 19:12:36 UTC 2010

On Friday 05 February 2010 20:28:59 Jeremy Grant wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

in general we encourage people to use one of the existing distributions
(angstrom, micro, minimal). In some recipes these distro's have done
configuration or other policy. This is done with the "OVERRIDE" system of
bitbake which is working by name. So just copying angstrom.conf to a new name
will most likely not work right a way.

For the next part. I would suggest creating a "task-oem-kind" and a "oem-kind-
image" which would install Qt Embedded 4.6, the required plugins and
additional applications like the arora browser.

My general suggestion is to use OE only for the tasks it is good. E.g. if you
force a developer to use it for application development it can be pretty
painful on both sides.

At the OEM I would encourage someone to write the machine config, makes sure
the init files are working. As the output of the OEM they should have the
machine file, the sourcecode, a bootable image, and the result of something
like "meta-toolchain-qte" or "meta-toolchain" to allow easy application
development for the target hardware.

holger