[oe] TSC meeting minutes 20100204

C Michael Sundius msundius at sundius.com
Mon Feb 8 17:27:34 UTC 2010

> >> New-style staging means it has no do_stage method defined anymore (and
> >> not getting one thru things like autotools_stage.bbclass as well).
> >> It will re-use the output of do_install() to populate staging and run QA
> >> checks on.
> >>
> >> You can check it building it and and looking for messages like "Legacy
> >> staging enabled", which would tell you it's still using the old, slow
> >> method.
> >>
> >> regards,
> >>
> >> Koen
> >
> > Did a quick grep, there are still some 1400+ recipes that have a
> > do_stage. Now some of them are older versions (e.g. there are 6
> > xorg-lib/pixman recipes).
> > I'm more than happy to do my part of the cleaning but....
> > Almost most of the packages are things I don't know too much about.
> > What I can do (with packaged staging) remove do_stage, build, build a
> > package that depends on it and if that builds commit my work. Is that
> > considered to be good enough?
>
> You can compare the contents of the packaged-staging packages to see
> differences between then. That's what I do as a first check. Building
> something against it is the second check :)
>
> regards,

I, too, am still a little unclear  regarding how the new style staging
works. Are you saying that we are able now to simply remove the do_stage()
function and bitbake will somehow just know which files are intended to be
staged from the install.. what if a [say header] file that was not
previously "installed" is required by a dependent recipe?

> You can compare the contents of the packaged-staging packages to see
> differences between then. That's what I do as a first check. Building
> something against it is the second check :)

further, if Franz simply builds just one recipe (say "B") that depends on
another recipe ("A"), B might not make use of all the files staged by A,
whereas a 3 recipe may use some other files... so that method of testing is
not sufficient.... I *think* that is what Koen was saying in his most recent
reply.. right?

Still, is there some documentation on exactly how you are supposed to do the
"new-style" staging and how it works...

thanks mike