[oe] initramfs image with secondary cramfs inside

John Van Horne (vanhorj) vanhorj at cisco.com
Tue Feb 9 00:37:21 UTC 2010

The system I'm working on boots up with an initramfs image which
contains a very minimal file system. During the boot process, a second
file system image, in cramfs format, is mounted and used as the root
file system. Does anyone have any experience using OE to build such an
image? My approach to this was to have a recipe for the cramfs image and
a recipe for the initramfs image, and to list the cramfs image as a
dependency of the initramfs recipe. Both of these recipes inherit the
image class. However, running bitbake on the initramfs recipe fails
because the cramfs do_rootfs and do_deploy_to tasks have not run. After
running bitbake with debug info turned on, it seems that the initramfs
recipe depends upon the do_populate_stage task of cramfs, but not
do_rootfs and do_deploy_to. Could anyone offer any insight into why this
is?

Thanks

-John