[oe] confused by netbase/udev

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 9 11:59:44 UTC 2010

Am Dienstag, den 09.02.2010, 12:23 +0100 schrieb Steffen Sledz:
> I'm a bit confused about netbase and udev use im Angstrom.
> Here's what i see:
>
> I connect an USB-NIC.
>
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is created:

[…]

> And for each new NIC another name is created?! :(
>
> And here's what i like to see:
> * Connect an USB-NIC should result in an DHCP-configured interface.

Do you have it configured somewhere (for example in [2])? If not you can
use a daemon like NetworkManager.

> * Disconnect the USB-NIC remove all traces from the system.

[1] is necessary because (at least under Debian (I cannot verify on
Ångström right now)) you can set certain parameters in [2], i. e. if an
interface should be configured statically or dynamically. You have to
reference those devices with `ethN` (N ∈ ℕ) but without [1] they would
be randomly enumerated. That is why [1] is needed.

[…]

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
[2] /etc/network/interfaces