[oe] [RFC] package.bbclass and aggressive library stripping

Josh Mahonin jmahonin at cbnco.com
Fri Feb 12 15:47:43 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I was attempting to use GDB on an OE build, but was given various
warnings about threads being disabled.  I've traced the problem to
package.bbclass stripping out necessary symbols in 'libpthread.so.0',
referenced as section 6 in http://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/FAQ

I'm admittedly using an out of date OE checkout, but the problem still
appears to be present in trunk as well.  Is it better to create a
special case in package.bbclass just for libpthread, or should a
blacklist be created for other potentially affected libraries as well?

Regards,

Josh