[oe] Using bitbake in minimal chroot environment

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 20:53:58 UTC 2010

2010/2/15 Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>:

>> Already rebuilding in new chroot :).

>>> If they are on the same filesystem you could use hard links and save those MBs.
>>
>> Not so big problem for me, so I used mount --bind for dirs I want to
>> share (ie /usr/portage as I'm using gentoo) and it took only about
>> 100MB.. so not a big deal

>> The last point? Well it's good for me (less issues) but if I push some
>> recipe failing for 99% other builders just because they have pretty
>> standard libs on their systems, then I should be blamed for pushing
>> crappy recipe :).
>>
>>> Seems a good plan to me, please keep us posted.
>>> (actually I've been considering building in a minimalistic VM)
>>
>> Well VM would be much slower..
>
> On a recent intel/amd cpu VMs I can't measure much difference between VM
> and non-vm builds.
> My main buildmachine at work is an ubuntu 8.04LTS vm running under
> windows XP. The only major speedup I can get building in a native
> install would be using 64bit, since the VM is 32 bit, but it does expose
> both CPU cores :)
>
> regards,
>
> Koen

Interesting results.
I had expected that ramfs would improve things. The only explanation I
have that it does not is that if you have sufficient RAM most of the
data will remain in the cache.
(although listening to the hard disk when building (dual core, 32 bit
OS, 4GB ram gives reason to suspect otherwise).

Frans.