[oe] RFC: Improve our default conf file setup

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Feb 16 11:49:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 11:58 +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> Sounds quite nice.
> Didn't study the class code, but it would be nice if within layer.conf
> I could use a relative path, which then is turned into an absolute
> path when the layer.conf file is read

This is what the LAYERDIR variable gives us.

Having relative paths would lose all context outside the layer.conf
file. We could hardcode a list of variables that needed to be processed
and so on but LAYERDIR removes all that complexity whilst still letting
you move things around.

> That means layer.conf can become very standard wrt BBPATH etc. and you
> can even move layers around.

You should be able to do that with my proposal, the only file that would
need changing is bblayers.conf, not the layers themselves.

Cheers,

Richard