[oe] RFC: Improve our default conf file setup

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Thu Feb 18 16:58:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 09:13 -0700, Chris Larson wrote:
> With COLLECTIONS (and BBLAYERS could work similarly), all the overlay
> priorities and bbpath ordering are automatically determined based on the
> order of entries in the variable.  Documented as highest-to-lowest.
>
> Note that I'm not necessarily arguing against the use of a per-layer
> configuration file, as this seems like it would be quite useful, but I
> question the need for the boilerplate.

Its certainly possible to put defaults in which would handle the
"standard" case. My main dislike is having to hardcode behaviour and
variable handing into bitbake in that case.

The idea that adding an empty layer.conf file breaks a previously
working overlay seems counter intuitive too...

Cheers,

Richard