[oe] ro/rw boot order

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Mon Jan 4 23:34:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 10:25:17PM +0100, GNUtoo wrote:
> and menu.lst says root=/dev/hda1 ro
>
> and in angstrom /etc/rcS.d there is:
> S03udev
> S10checkroot
>
> And when booting it freeze unless you change udev/checkroot order or put
> rw to the kernel command line.
>
> I bet that some people already started working arround the issue:
> CMDLINE = "root=/dev/sda1 rw init=/sbin/init console=ttyS2,115200n8
> mem=128M nohz=off"
> can be found in the archos5 machine config
>
> what's the best fix for that?

AFAIK, the only write access udev initscript needs is to create the device
cache. It is controlled by the DEVCACHE variable in the /etc/default/udev -
either point it to a read-writeable and mounted partition or disable devcache
by unsetting the variable (all Zaurus machines do that by default).

I've been meaning for some time now to fix it by moving the devcache handling
after the checkroot... But since all my machines mount rootfs writeable, it
hasn't been very critical for me - need to find some spare time actually do it
properly :)

--
Denys