[oe] Error building gcc-cross

martin mangard martin at mangard.at
Wed Jan 6 09:29:00 UTC 2010

> gcc 3.4 will not build libstdc++.so.5. You have to use gcc 3.3
> try to build one of those. They may be rusted over a long time.
> You can also take a prebuild ipk

I tried to build other versions but they also failed with the error:
"./read-rtl.c:653: error: lvalue required as increment operand"

After a little Googling, I found out that this is a common issue
caused by an incompatibly between gcc 4.3 and gcc 3.3. It is not
possible to build gcc 3.3 with gcc 4.3.

A possible solution for my problem, which is also mentioned at
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/VirtualBox would be to just build
"libstdc++-v3" which seems to be build able with gcc 4.x.

But for today I think the prebuild libstdc++.so.5 will do the job as well ;-).

thanks for your help

Martin