[oe] why we don't setup a buildbot for openembedded QA?

Guo Hongruan camelguo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 02:02:05 UTC 2010

在 Wed, 06 Jan 2010 11:59:45 +0800,Holger Hans Peter Freyther
<holger+oe at freyther.de> 写道:

> On Tuesday 05 January 2010 03:06:47 Guo Hongruan wrote:
>> No, I am not talking about tinderbox but buildbot. I want to setup a
>> public buildbot and validate every possible combinations of
>> openembedded.
>> In another words, I want to do some QA jobs of openembedded.
>
> This is a nice goal, but it is probably not the biggest concern as well.
> E.g.
> there is little benefit of making every version of binutils work with
> glibc and
> gcc. It is certainly cool to be able to pick any GCC, BINUTILS, GLIBC and
> guarnatee that it will work on any host distro. But besides being
> totally cool
> it is also totally wasting your time (unless your goal is to learn how
> GCC,
> BINUTILS and GLIBC interact). And the next step would be to have make
> world
> build on top of that...

Yes, I agree with you. It is not worth to make sure every combinations of
GCC, GLIBC and BINUTILS work perfectly. For example, some versions of
binutils is too old to work with newest glibc/gcc and there are little
projects using these combinations.

But, My idea is that we can maintain a table which records which version
of package A can not work with which version of package B.
(for example, glibc-2.6.1 can not work with binutils-2.20)
So that, when the user chooses these combinations, the
openembedded/bitbake can give them a warning or error to indicate that
this combination will not work.