[oe] QA Goals for OpenEmbedded

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 07:59:15 UTC 2010

2010/1/6 Rolf Leggewie <no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de>:
> Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>>       *) Does bitbake world work? If not it would be cool if someone could take
>>             a look?
>
> I was hoping for bitbake world to work as a QA tool.  But my efforts on
> the world target didn't really receive a warm welcome.  By now world is
> so utterly broken that bitbake won't even ever start to execute any
> tasks (I killed bitbake after two days when it still did nothing the
> last time I tried).
>
> Unfortunately, currently there is no consensus in OE that
> "MACHINE=$machine bitbake $bb" shouldn't arbitrarily fail somewhere.

Ideally this should work.
However, in real life there are some restrictions.
e.g. if my machine is a sheevaplug (which does not have a display), it
is completely irrelevant whether Xserver or Qt compiles.

The current situation is though that someone needs or feels
responsible for a recipe and updates that (ideally after testing it on
all the hw he has :-) )
But it is way too cumbersome to build it for all other targets that
are out there. I would be more than happy if I could sent my recipe to
a build bot which then would build it for all kind of machines, and
give me a log to peek at afterwards.
But building locally for all kind of machines I do not own is simply
too resource (CPU and diskspace) consuming.

There are various ways to improve though.
We could enforce that changes first go to some automated QA process
before becoming "official".
Or we could have a notion somewhere which packages are tested/approved
for what machine
Or the recipe itself could state that (maybe even based upon this
automated build system)

I would suggest the TSC also to come up with an opinion on this.

My $ 0.02.

Frans.