[oe] update-alternatives broken badly (by me :()

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 14:35:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 03:05:03PM +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Can't we just make them both read from the opkg dir?
>
> regards,
>
> Koen

Yes this would be nice, but still we would need something for merging
those 2. Because in older image there would be better state in ipkg dir
if it wasnt upgraded much and in newer image in opkg dir.

Because here isn't newer == better :/. I would go with merging "longer"
files to opkg dir. It doesn't work only for users who intentionaly
removed some alternatives with highest priority after image creation.

But it will fail badly in this case:

root at om-gta02 ~ $ cat /usr/lib/ipkg/alternatives/init
/sbin/init
../bin/busybox 50
/sbin/init.sysvinit 60

root at om-gta02 ~ $ cat /usr/lib/opkg/alternatives/init
/sbin/init
../bin/busybox 50

If user have both busybox and sysvinit installed than longer version
from cworth will be merged and sysvinit used - usually good thing. But
if he removed sysvinit intentionally then after ie busybox upgrade init
will be switched to nonexistent file /sbin/init.sysvinit and won't boot
anymore :/.

I can send small patch with PR bump in -cworth,, patching it for opkg dir and
"merger" in postinst.

Regards,

uin:136542059                jid:Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
Jansa Martin                 sip:jamasip at voip.wengo.fr