[oe] Remote Debugging

Joerg Eesmann jeesmann at gmx.de
Sat Jan 9 17:15:08 UTC 2010

Hi again,
sometimes one can`t see the obvious, but thanks for help.
I connected gdb remote. But I got following message:

warning: The current binary is a PIE (Position Independent Executable),
which
GDB does NOT currently support.  Most debugger features will fail if
used
in this session.

Reading symbols
from /home/joerg/prj/OpenMoko/shr/shr-build/shr-unstable/tmp/work/armv4t-oe-linux-gnueabi/bluez4-4.59-r5.0/bluez-4.59/src/.libs/bluetoothd...done.
(gdb) target remote 192.168.0.202:3333
Remote debugging using 192.168.0.202:3333
warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.

and I cannot set breakpoints or whatever.
I thought, gdb 7.0 is supporting PIE.
Is there any possibility to compile bluez4 not as PIE, would it work?
While googeling, I found some patches for gdb, which may help.
Any ideas?

(by the way, is there a usable graphical frontend for gdb for this case:
remote-debugging wit cross gdb)?
I only managed to get it running (until the message) textbased.

Thank you for supporting me,
best regards,
Joerg