[oe] RFC: Sane default for SPLASH

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Thu Jan 14 00:38:49 UTC 2010

Richard Purdie wrote:
> So the answer is likely that images or task .bb files use this thing.
> The logical approach would therefore be a weak default variable in
> image.bbclass or a package-groups.bbclass included by task-*.bb files...

yes, very good point indeed.  This does not have to be OE-wide, setting
it in image.bbclass is enough and much preferred.

Based on the suggestions I can now come up with a first draft of a patch
for discussion.  Further work would need to be done after this patch or
one like it has been applied.  There are currently a number of images
that hardwire the bootsplash.  For some, that is probably in their
nature and desired, for others it's not so clear.  Just to give an
example of the latter, I think that the BOOTSPLASH definition in
gpe-image.bb should be moved into the distro configuration instead.