[oe] RFC: Sane default for SPLASH

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Thu Jan 14 14:23:52 UTC 2010

On 01/14/2010 09:12 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:

> On 14-01-10 14:52, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, den 14.01.2010, 10:14 +0100 schrieb Koen Kooi:
>>> NAK, the needless SPLASH ->  BOOTSPLASH will create too much work for
>>> people to catch up to, and it messes up the docs on the subject.
>>
>> Could you expand on that reason? I find the patch quite a useful
>> refactoring. If we don't allow patches like this going in, we're
>> doomed into living with misnomers forever -- and we all know that
>> there are quite a few in OE metadata.
>
> If you want to fix such misnomers it needs to be done with more thought
> and publicity to allow external repos to catch up. No need to stab
> people in the eye to make 2 people feel better.
> And FWIW, psplash runs at shutdown as well, so it isn't really a
> bootsplash ;)

Trying to get this back on the issue at hand ....

It appears to me (who isn't really folloing the thread), there are two
issues, an immediate problem that Rolf's second patch addresses, and the
actual variable name issue, which appears worthy of further discussion
and thought.

It is always good to keep individual changes as simple as possible and
avoid mixing too many thoughts in one commit.

Philip