[oe] TSC Meeting 7/1/2010

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 07:41:03 UTC 2010

2010/1/15 Denys Dmytriyenko <denis at denix.org>:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:02:57AM +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
>> I suggest to review the rules;. E.g. this one:
>> # This should all be on one line and you should leave an empty line
>> before any detailed commit information.
>> Nice, but if you use git commit and enter your message empty lines are removed.
>
> Not really. "git format-patch" and "git am" use the empty line separation to
> determine, what becomes patch subject and what is patch description in the
> body. So, the above rule/requirement is very correct. More on the topic:
>
> http://progit.org/book/ch5-2.html#commit_guidelines
>
> --
> Denys

I stand corrected.
When I wrote that I seemed to recall that the file you get when you
commit says that whitespace and comment is removed, but my memory
played games with me as only the leading and trailing empty lines and
comments are removed. (and no one ever complained to me about not
having empty lines in the commit message)

And thanks for the progit.org link. Didn't know that one. Interesting reading.

Frans