[oe] what's the purpose of tarballs in the OE repo?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Jan 17 14:52:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> On Sunday 17 January 2010 08:55:18 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   good plan, i'll take a look at that later today, thanks.
>
> thanks for the work you have put into this.

  not a big deal, i noticed that a couple people have already replied
that they have ideas for how to move some tarballs out of the OE repo.

  i'm well aware that, very occasionally, there are special
circumstances which require that actual content be added to the repo,
but in cases like that, it might be useful to add a README file to the
appropriate recipes directory explaining those circumstances.

  not only would that prevent confusion but, sometime down the road,
someone examining that README file might realize, "hey, those special
circumstances don't apply anymore, we can finally do a proper download
here!", and submit a patch for it.

  or something like that.

rday