[oe] [Bitbake-dev] bitbake 'events' - How to fix the current problems?

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Jan 19 14:12:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 23:14 +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
> For worker -> server its not desirable to transfer the datastore.
> Event
> handlers in the metadata happen in the server's process space just like
> parsing so passing the datastore to them isn't an issue. Passing to the
> UIs is a different process space and passing the datastore is not
> desirable.
>
> If we ditch the datastore, the core code is going to be a lot simpler as
> the objects will just work with the standard serialization.
>
> We could just make this an internal change by changing the parameters of
> the fire() call to pass the datastore and then pass this on as
> event.data to the metadata handlers, manually inserting it into the
> objects when wanted.

FWIW this is now done in bitbake master. The IPC between the workers and
the server is implemented and working well too which avoids a whole raft
of problems.

I think I'm going to switch Poky to bitbake master soon and drop 1.8
there - we're getting much closer to the 1.10 release, just need to look
at those parsing changes and fix a BBCLASSEXTEND issue.

Cheers,

Richard