[oe] Angstrom: x11-gpe-image : Calibration of Screen ?

John Willis John.Willis at Distant-earth.com
Tue Jan 19 14:12:56 UTC 2010

> No (really good) news,
> but I'm currently working on this.
> I tried to enable touchscreen calibration without success.
>
> I built Xorg version Xorg-1.7.3 configured with --enable-xcalibrate
> but I didn't get this extension in my Xorg, so when I try to call
> xtscal
> I always get this error:
>  # xtscal
>  XCALIBRATE extension missing: Success
>
> I debugged a bit the following packages: xtscal_0.6.3,
> libxcalibrate_git, libxext_1.1.1
>
> Temporary conclusion is that xtscal is no longer usable because the
> xcalibrate extension is only implemented for kdrive.
> Possible options are to use kdrive (hopefully not) or find another way
> to calibrate our touchscreen.
> I am working on a new way to calibrate the screen in the xorg (not
> kdrive) way.
>
> Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated.

The tail end of last year I found some un-credited code :-o on the internet (believed to be public domain/GPL depending on the header of the file but that does not thrill me to be honest).

I started to work on a fresh reimplementation of that code to return calibration information that could be fed into either xinput evtouch or xinput evdev (if you use a recent version of either driver that supports calibration for TS devices). I never finished the reimplementation work so a lot of the code is still the original un-credited code.

Not sure if this is of any help/interest but wrapped in a suitable GUI (or even scripts and Zenity) it could provide a sensible way to calibrate a touchscreen in X using X drivers that use the Linux event handling interface (rather than TSLib).

Note: I can't even recall if this code builds (I strongly suspect not) as I just grabbed it off my hard drive where it has been rotting for a while. It's really for reference only and fit for nothing more than the scrap heap at a guess.

Regards,

John