[oe] Getting patches committed

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Thu Jan 21 12:15:21 UTC 2010

On 01/21/2010 05:20 AM, Dr. Michael Lauer wrote:
> Am 21.01.2010 um 11:02 schrieb Holger Hans Peter Freyther:
>

>>> 2. Is there a way to have a staging branch where all patches are
>>> committed to, which have not been reviewed for let us say one week, to
>>> get more testing and before they go into the dev branch? Maybe it is
>>> easier for people to at least test build such a branch?
>>
>> Would you be interested in creating such a branch for us? I assume it is
>> certainly easier to git cherry-pick a patch than to download the mbox and use
>> git am..
>
> I fully agree. I'm neither using patchwork nor do I find patches on the list a good idea.
> I'd welcome for-oe-upstream trees that would contain patches that -- if good -- we could
> just pull from.

I actually like patches on the list, because it makes me aware of how is
doing work and keeps me aware of the kinds of things people without
commit access are interested in. Also, it gives people with commit
access a forum for changes they would like reviewed.

I am not opposed to someone creating a git branch or branches created
from list patches, but do not want to see the patches disappear from the
list.

If the patch that was sent to the list comes from git-send-patch (I hope
I hve that correct) there is a script contrib/patchwork/git-am.sh that
makes it really easy to apply the patch.

Philip