[oe] Getting patches committed

Konrad Mattheis mattheis at ukma.de
Thu Jan 21 15:49:34 UTC 2010

> >> Would you be interested in creating such a branch for us? I assume it is
> >> certainly easier to git cherry-pick a patch than to download the mbox
> >> and use git am..
> >
> > I fully agree. I'm neither using patchwork nor do I find patches on the
> > list a good idea. I'd welcome for-oe-upstream trees that would contain
> > patches that -- if good -- we could just pull from.
>
> I actually like patches on the list, because it makes me aware of how is
> doing work and keeps me aware of the kinds of things people without
> commit access are interested in. Also, it gives people with commit
> access a forum for changes they would like reviewed.
>
> I am not opposed to someone creating a git branch or branches created
> from list patches, but do not want to see the patches disappear from the
> list.
>
> If the patch that was sent to the list comes from git-send-patch (I hope
> I hve that correct) there is a script contrib/patchwork/git-am.sh that
> makes it really easy to apply the patch.
>
> Philip

>I'm one of those without commit rights :)
>And i think the problem is, that nobody feels responsible for the patches on
>patchwork. I know this situation from SHR patchwork, when you don't ask
>someone directly to commit a patch from patchwork, nobody will do it.
>That's the only way it really works currently.
>I have 4 people with commit rights i can ask, so i have no problems but others
>probably doesn't know someone...

I'm in the same situation. Till now I only changed things in my own copy
of the tree, because I don't understand how the patching is working. For example
I read a lot of patches which are send to the mailing list, but no
discussion, no NACK or ACK.
I also working on u-boot and this development mailing list is complete
different. If I send a patch to the list I get in less than 2 days an
answer. And then the patch is discussed it always ends with a ACK or NACK.

> I think a sort of moderator for patchwork is needed,
> that associates patches to the maintainer.
yes ! and also more discussions about

Konrad